The Obama administration is trying to minimize the damage done by Van Jones' appointment. They claim this was a vetting problem. There is a problem with the appointment of Czars, since they do not have to be confirmed by...well, anyone. Cabinet-level staff face an established process. If Van Jones was the only extremist lunatic Obama appointed to his groups of Czars, you could say it was a vetting problem. If Obama's staff and other Democrats hadn't been so vocal about following Van Jones’ great accomplishments for years, you could say it was a vetting problem. If so many members of the left weren't currently talking about the loss of a great man, you could say it was a vetting problem.
The truth is, a large portion of the left (including President Obama) agree with Van Jones, that is to say, a large portion of the left are absolutely bonkers. As William Jacobson points out at Legal Insurrection, Van Jones' beliefs are right in line with many Democrats. A brief overview:
- George W. Bush is evil and possibly had a hand in 9/11.
- White people are evil and spend their time coming up with ways to oppress minorities, or even poison them.
- Global warming/cooling is an indisputable fact and anyone who disagrees is evil and wants polar bears to burn.
- Cops are violent instruments of oppressive white people.
- Due to oppressive white people, America is evil.